As Sheet Music Plus stands in solidarity with those around the world advocating for change, we’d like to ask you to join us today in listening to Black voices. Here we recognize organizations that support and promote Black musicians and music education:
- National Association of Negro Musicians (NANM): www.nanm.org
- National Association for the Study and Performance of African American Music (NASPAAM): www.naspaam.org
- Sphinx Organization: www.sphinxmusic.org
- Videmus: www.videmus.org
- Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM): www.aacmchicago.org
- Music by Black Composers (MBC): www.musicbyblackcomposers.org
We also share, in addition to the legacies left by brilliant but underappreciated Black classical composers like Scott Joplin, William Grant Still, Florence Price, William Dawson, and Nathaniel Dett, a directory of living Black composers maintained by Music by Black Composers (MBC):
We recognize that these lists cannot be enough. Our institutions of classical music have spent too long being part of the system that marginalizes and dismisses Black voices, while our popular music industry has profited immensely from Black art, oftentimes at the expense of the ingenious Black artists who have created and catalyzed every major popular music movement for well over a century.
As we take this time to process, reflect and plot out our path forward, we recognize that we must also listen.
If you have additional resources relating to these matters that you would like to share with us or with our community of teachers and choir directors, please email us. Our platform and our community welcome you.