by Jacy Burroughs
Aaron Copland in 1970
1. Aaron Copland (November 14, 1900 – December 2, 1990) was born in Brooklyn, New York to a Jewish family. He was the youngest of five children. While his father had no musical inclination, his mother sang and played the piano and sent her children to music lessons. Copland’s sister Laurine gave him his first piano lessons. She attended the Metropolitan Opera School and would bring home libretti for Aaron to study.
2. When Copland was eleven, he wrote his first notated melody, seven bars of an opera he called Zenatello.
Continue reading ’10 Interesting Facts About Aaron Copland’
On January 15, 2015 during the New Music Gathering at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, Sheet Music Plus CEO Jenny Silva gave a presentation on publishing models for the independent composer. Her presentation, available as a PDF by clicking on the link below, discusses the various methods through which composers may publish their music and the advantages and disadvantages to each. It is a must read for any composer, new or seasoned, wishing to gain more exposure for his/her work.
New Music Gathering_v2
Published December 9, 2014
Arranging , Composing , Music in Community , Publishing , Songwriting
Tags: arranger, competition, composer, composition, Digital Print Publishing, New Year's, self-publishing, Sheet Music Plus, songwriter
Composers, Arrangers, and Songwriters: we’ve got another exciting contest for you happening now through the end of December. Upload your sheet music and mp3 recordings to automatically enter the New Year’s Music Selling Contest. The more titles you upload, the greater chance you have of winning!
Let Sheet Music Plus help you accomplish a New Year’s resolution of publishing and selling more of your music. Upload the best-selling title in the below categories and win $300! We encourage you to upload as many titles as possible across the categories below in December, then promote and sell your titles from January 12 – February 15. The submission period has already started so start uploading your titles ASAP!
Here’s how it works:
- December 1-31, 2014 – Upload new original compositions and arrangements to your Digital Print Publishing account
- January 10, 2015 – All titles will be live on sheetmusicplus.com
- January 12 – February 15, 2015 – Selling competition period
- February 20, 2015 – Top-selling products at end of selling competition period will be announced
- Instrumental: Concert Band, Jazz (Big Band, Combo), Orchestra (full and string), Chamber Ensemble, Solo
- Sacred Choral: all voicings
- School/Community Choral: all voicings
- Piano: solo, 4-hand, duets
- Best-Selling Instrumental – $300
- Best-Selling Sacred Choral – $300
- Best-Selling School/Community Choral – $300
- Best-Selling Piano – $300
Stay tuned for more strategies on how to market and promote your music once the competition selling period starts. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below or write an email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
For your reference, here’s the link for Digital Print Publishing:
SIGN UP | SIGN IN
Terms and Conditions:
*All entries must be titles uploaded for the first time. Sheet Music Plus reserves the right to disqualify a title due to copyright concerns, violation of contest terms, content deemed inappropriate, or any other reason. Rights to all uploaded titles remain the property of the original owner. All titles associated with this contest are subject to our Digital Print Publishing Terms and Conditions.
David Burndrett’s musical career started at an early age. During his first years at high school, he supported many amateur operatic societies and orchestras, playing either cello or double bass.
David attended Chetham’s School of Music in Manchester, England for four years, and was awarded the Ida Carroll string prize during his final year. He played in the National Youth Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra from 1993 to 1995. David left Chetham’s in 1996 to broaden his musical training at Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, where he studied solo classical and orchestral technique with Thomas Martin. Additionally, David was accepted onto the jazz course where he was able to form alliances with many players. David and his colleagues formed the Tom Allen Quintet, who won the Perrier Jazz Award in 1999. David also arranges and composes music and sells his music internationally online.
David is a regular extra with the Halle, BBC Philharmonic, City Of Birmingham Symphony, English Symphony, Manchester Camerata, Sinfonia Viva, Orchestra da Camera and others.
David Burndrett is one of the top self-publishers in the Digital Print Publishing program offered through Sheet Music Plus. Digital Print Publishing allows composers and arrangers to upload their music to www.sheetmusicplus.com for free and earn royalties. In an interview with Sheet Music Plus, David answered the following questions about his musical career and how Digital Print Publishing has helped him achieve success. He demonstrates that if you are arranging and composing music for your students, it is very likely that other teachers and musicians are also looking for similar pieces. Why not try to sell your music?
Continue reading ‘Composer Success Story: David Burndrett’
Did you know you can sell digital copies of your arrangements and original scores through Sheet Music Plus? Our Digital Print Publishing program allows you to upload PDFs and audio samples, input important marketing information, and set your own price (min. $1.99). Visitors can easily find your music using our advanced search engine, which receives over 3 million visits a year. It’s quick, easy, and FREE!
Start uploading today and you’ll automatically be entered in our first Digital Print Publishing Contest, happening July 1-31, 2014, with three categories of winners:
1. Best-selling new upload ($300 award and promotional highlight).
2. Highest cumulative sales for new uploads ($100 award).
3. Editor’s pick for best new upload ($100 award).
Titles must be NEW UPLOADS, submitted after 9:00am PST, June 11, 2014. All titles must be submitted by June 22, 2014, 11:59pm PST, in order to be live by July 1. Titles uploaded after this time will not be included in the contest.
Sign in to Digital Print Publishing