By Zachariah Friesen
Whether you or one of your kids is embarking on a journey into the world of music, there is help to guide you along the way. These great resources will give you tips on how the music industry works, how you fit into it and how to survive. Intrigue, information and experience – the learning starts now!
1. The Music Lesson (A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music) By Victor Wooten
“…Every movement, phrase, and chord has its own meaning. All you have to do is find the song inside.”
2. How to Get a Job in the Music Industry – 2nd Edition Berklee Press By Keith Hatschek
The book we all wish we had read before embarking on a professional career in music, if you don’t read this book you’re already at a disadvantage.
3. Building a Successful 21st Century Music Career by Simon Cann
Nice and up to date – A great read and very helpful.
4. Ruthless Self-Promotion in the Music Industry by Jeffrey P. Fisher
Tackle the music industry before it tackles you. This book never loses its usefulness.
5. How to Find Gigs That Pay Big Bucks (DVD)
Hear how to get gigs from people who have gigs, lots of them.
6. How to Put a Band Together (Handy Guide) By Kevin Mitchell
This is an easy read and a great non-genre specific tale of turning ideas and hopes and dreams into future experiences and memories.
Got your band together? Great! Get out there and share the music.
8. Big Studio Secrets for Home Recording and Production by Joe Dochtermann
This great resource is a do-it-yourself approach to producing and recording music.
9. The Green Musician’s Guide (Sound Ideas for a Sound Planet) By Jeff Touzeau
Save the planet, it’s the one audience member that hears all of your performances – take care of it!
10. The Musician’s Legal Companion by Michael Aczon
Stay out of trouble and know your rights. I don’t make the rules, but I don’t break them either.